SNSD – The Boys MV

The hype was high, the teaser was hot and every Kpop fan was in a tizzy. Today SNSD released their new song The Boys, both the Korean and English version (!).

Korean version:

English version:

I am a little tired/disappointed with the music video. Same old with nothing interesting, wich is a pity because there is so much to be done. Like a twitter follower said today:

SNSD… where exactly ARE the boys?? #boyswerenotbroughtoutinMV ._.
(@missnomelette)

I rest my case.

When it comes to the song, it’s still that SNSD sound without the sugar. It’s the Run Devil Run feel but more fierce. I appreciate that it’s more sexy and mature, SNSD needs more of that.

Julyssa

Music is all I do: I work in music, I write about music, I listen to music.

9 Responses

1. amy says:

I thought the beginning was beat-y like Keep your Head Down, which then turned like Glee’s version of Telephone in the bathroom. xD

Why did they used a 360 shot after a slow-mo walk????

I also want to (kinda not) read those conspiracies with all those inverted pyramids in the music video hahahaha.

• Julili says:

@amy, That slow-mo walk was so unnecessary, as well as that pigeon… like wth. Thing is that SM bought one of those fancy cameras from James Cameron’s company and yeah… they keep abusing it.

2. Dani says:

I hate that SM has a thing for putting several songs into one. My ocd or slight autism or whatever it is does not approve of the “messy” sound at all, I legit can’t listen to a newer SM song without getting ticks.

3. I enjoyed it! But if the lovely ladies are singing about how fierce they are & “bringing the boys out”… why aren’t there any boys in the video? If they didn’t want to go with a “story” concept for the MV they could’ve had an interesting dance break with some male backup dancers or SOMETHING.

4. ersby says:

I have a strange relationship with Girls’ Generation. Apart from Run Devil Run, I don’t usually like their songs the first time I hear them. Of course, sometimes I don’t like them no matter how often I hear them, but often my first impressions of songs like Gee, Hoot, Echo and Way To Go are far lower than my later opinion of them.

And so it was with their latest release, “The Boys”. I listened to it, and thought that it was a bit plodding and mid-tempo and a bit unremarkable and so I turned it off, disappointed. Then a few minutes later I found myself singing “Bring the boys out” to myself, and so I sat down and watched it again. It was still a bit plodding, but this time the hooks caught and it all made a lot more sense.

Pretty good/10

• amy says:

@ersby, that’s only happened to me with Gee. I remember the first time I heard and saw the video, I was left a little dumbfounded. I mean, I’ve never been a huge girl group girl, I wasn’t even all that big on the Spice Girls (except for Stop and Viva Forever – that video is pretty good too)… so to say that catching myself saying “gee gee gee gee baby baby” was a surprise is an understatement. Ha!

btw, did you get your login info?

• Julili says:

@ersby, Often with Kpop songs, I find that they get stuck in my head even if I feel that they are lackluster. Before it was thanks to the repetitive hook, now I think that I’ve been so brainwashed by Kpop that I turn to a zombie as soon as I hear one song.

I am not liking the MV but the song is oki. I am happy that it isn’t all that “lolita/sugar-sweet” but a little more unf and bamf. I am pretty sure that I will listen to it a whole lot, when don’t I?

I really need some Kpop rehab.