The Fangirly Diary of a Geek Girl: The World is full of Marvels

FRIDAY

So, I belatedly found this article about Michael Jackson’s unreleased demos that we get to hear thanks to Bad‘s 25th anniversary rerelease. My favourite must be “Abortion Papers“:

That said, here’s the daily Thor: The Dark World images. The baddies keep looking like Uruk-hai from The Lord of the Rings, but whatever.

And then we get the motherload of cast interviews for The Avengers: first we have an interview with both Chrises (Hemsworth & Evans), a Hiddles solo interview, a Clark Gregg and Samuel L. Jackson one, and a Scarlett Johansson and Mark Ruffalo one.

Amy Adams talks about being Lois Lane in Man of Steel… and shows she’s one of us:

It was fun. It was intimidating because it was played before by Margot Kidder, whom I love. One of my favorite movies growing up was Superman — and Superman II. I was kind of a nerd. I loved them so much.

More pics from The Hobbit, courtesy of Peter Jackson’s last update on his Facebook.

Also, Skyfall gets a brand new poster and two banners with Bérénice Marlohe as Severine and Ralph Fiennes as Mallory.

And more storyboards of Hollywood’s Akira. While I hate the idea they would ever make this movie, those storyboards sure look detailed and awesome.

After some rest, I finally got around to watching clips of all geeky animation series I want to see like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Green Lantern (here and here) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (here, here, and especially here, where you can see Alfred being all sassy).

And that’s how an addiction was born.

Last but not least, have you ever played Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon? Just type “Bacon number” and an actor’s name into the Google search bar, and you’ll get a number with the actor’s connection to Bacon! Kevin Bacon himself tweeted about it!

I guess in my heart of hearts I kinda knew I was a ZERO. [1]

LOL

And that’s it! As I told you at the beginning, we sure had lots of Marvel news! And before I go watch my weekly doses of Doctor Who, here’s Gangnam Style again, now with 70% more Deadpool, courtesy of cosplayer D-Piddy:

mirella

YAM Magazine geek resident. Cloud Cuckoolander. Seldom web developer. Graphic designer.

12 Responses

1. amy says:

Ef Cameron to eternity. I mean, how much can you stretch the story of a stale idea? xD Jake Sully ain’t Harry Potter, you know. I for sure won’t allow an Avatar 7.2

Having said that. My Bacon number would be 3. Coz I’ve worked with someone that’s a #2 hahaha *stretching ideas*

Btw, have you learned to dance Gangnam Style?

• mirella says:

@amy, I know the steps of Gangnam Style but I suck hard at dancing so I wouldn’t do it in public XDDD

• Rodrigo says:

@amy, I’d say fuck most of the sci-fi fans and geek people. They’re the reasons why Avatar is getting another film and (I might be strechting this here) maybe they are to blame for Boardwalk Empire Season 3 not premiering tomorrow on Latin America in the same way True Blood and Game of Thrones (both geek-friendly shows) did air live here (or maybe I can blame HDP and Capadocia’s third season instead). Ok, I had to get the latter out of my head, lol. But fandoms are worthy of a conversation someday (which might not be helpful and could make me more hateful, lol).

Cameron, he’s mostly been involved in action genre films, but Titanic and a documentary film were his only exceptions. Hell, even Titanic is highly memorable due to an action-style scene. I can’t hate on him because of the first two Terminator films, which I still love to death. I’ll admit he deserves to be bitchslapped for producing Sanctuary.

BTW, are Peruvians shoving Gangman Style hard on people’s face via tv and radio or not yet?

• mirella says:

@Rodrigo, Fuck that, Rodrigo. It’s the commoners that pushed for Avatar’s sequels. The geeks are either indiferent or (the “elite” geeks) hate it with a passion and denounce Cameron as a hack.
        About Gangman Style, I don’t list to radio BUT my friends who do tell me it has been heard from time to time, but it is called “el baile del caballo”, which offends K-pop fans and fans of calling things by its proper name XD

• Rodrigo says:

@mirella, I apologize if I sounded offensive there. The HBO thing can be easily explained from a regional standpoint with its preference towards Latin American productions.

With Avatar having a sequel, it was inevitable because of how much it drew. But the marketing was genius (from their POV) as it had aprox. 2/3 of its audience watching it in 3D. I wouldn’t mind watching the second film, but someone has to pay for my ticket. Defining geeks and casual movie goers should be another topic, though.

Big LOL @ “el baile del caballo”. I guess the steps made the GS song earn that nickname.

• amy says:

@Rodrigo, I was watching Canal 2 last last night and they mentioned it thrice or twice – I think they were featuring it on La Noche Es Mia and some other of their shows? The one they air in the afternoon??? I don’t listen to the radio, so I can’t tell you whether they’re shoving it down there too.

Having said that, I’m one of those that gets annoyed by people calling it el baile del caballo – I could maybe draw a line on Psy Dance. LOL

Also… the fact that this is just bouncing off here proves that Peru is just an industry that follows American trends, which sadly not only shows on our radios, but also on our cinemas.

• Rodrigo says:

@amy, While watching Teledeportes on Panamericana Television today, Gangman Style was used twice. First, a Universitario fan was shown doing the GS move for a few seconds. Second time, the song was used as background music for the preview between Inti Gas vs. Sporting Cristal.

Also, I saw on Youtube that Frecuencia Latina did a report on the song. I wonder how long will Gangman Style last around here. If Michel Telo and Alexandra Stan got huge radio airplay on our summer time (and their hits were released months before 2012 began), then maybe Gangman Style will be run to death until March. :S

2. mirella says:

@Rodrigo believe me when I tell you that Avatar was seen mostly by regular folks an “amateur” geeks. Old geeks liked it fine enough but can live without sequels (like me) or HATED it with passion. In fact, some geeks watched The Avengers so many times TRYING to make it reach Titanic or Avatar XDDDDD There no geeks enough in the world (as proven by Avengers and TDKR) to make Avatar huge box office numbers the fault of geeks alone :P

3. Camiele says:

Why oh WHY do studios INSIST on ruining my childhood?! First a CGI-laced, live-action death of The Brave Little Toaster!!!! But, but… WWWWWWHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

And then, OH THEN, they’ve decided to ACTUALLY give the Akira live-action legs. And them legs took the shit to Manhattan…?! For fook’s sake, people! Stop turning my childhood into used bubblegum!

4. whoa Joss Whedon just called up Kenneth Branagh like that